Why We Celebrate 6th March National Dentists Day
Dental care is a fundamental part of medical care. How well you take care of your mouth affects your overall health as well as the quality of your life. It is why we must take time to appreciate all the good work that dentists and dental experts at large do for dentistry. They are the key to proper dental health across the globe.
What is 6th March National Dentists’ Day?
It is a special day set apart for dentists. The agenda of this day is to recognize, acknowledge and appreciate the role of dentists and other dental experts in keeping the dental field functional. The day recognizes the efforts of dentists in maintaining proper oral care for all people, ranging from children to adults. For example, when was the last time you acknowledged that a dentist that opens on Saturdays near you is making a big contribution to your oral health? You never have to worry about holding on to a dental emergency because you couldn’t find an emergency dentist open on a weekend.
How Many Types of Dentists Do We Have?
As our dentist in Potomac MD will tell you, very few people can distinguish the different types of dentists. As long as they work on your mouth, they are dentists. However, one of the primary roles of 6th March National Dentists Day is to bring awareness to the nature of the work of dental experts. This by large includes the different types of dental experts there are. The most common dentists you are likely to cross paths with are:
- General dentists – this is the most common dental expert. General dentists handle all the typical oral health issues regularly. They are mostly in charge of oral problem detection, diagnosis, prescription, and preventive dental care. Without them, it would cost you a lot to get through regular dental checkups.
- Orthodontists – these are dentists that cater to the alignment issues of teeth. They have expertise in bone structure and teeth development. They work with different oral appliances to institute movement in teeth, for proper alignment.
- Periodontists – these are dentists experienced in gum tissue treatment. They have studied everything about the mouth, with a keen focus on the gum tissue. They are best suited for treating any gum disorders, ranging from gingivitis, periodontitis, gum recession, gummy smiles, to mention a few.
- Prosthodontist – these are the dentist with expertise in dental appliances. They provide different oral appliances used in different dental works. This ranges from dental crowns, veneers, bridges, implants, to mention a few. Prosthodontists do most of their works closely with dental lab assistants, to come up with the best appliances for individual patient needs.
- Endodontist – they are in charge of saving a tooth from damage. They work in the insides of a tooth, specifically the central layer of teeth. The kind of treatment they offer is root canal therapy, to help save an adult tooth.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeon – these are the dentists that specialize in surgical procedures in the mouth. They are very proficient in both the soft and hard tissues of the mouth. This gives them a good command of knowledge and expertise to perform various dental surgical procedures.
Purpose of 6th March National Dentists Day
Other than increasing awareness about the different types of dentists there are, other reasons for this celebration include:
- Sensitizing people on the importance of dental care – people do not take dental care services seriously unless they have an oral problem. However, this day is important to help people understand that dental care is about more than correcting oral problems.
- Provoking more dental visits – even the few that understand the role of dentistry, do not take dental checkups seriously. Regular dental visits are the best way for someone to keep up with their oral health. Celebrating dentists helps remind people of the need to consider regular dental visits.
- Sensitizing people on oral hygiene – oral hygiene is about intentional cleaning of teeth to fight bacteria and plaque build-up. This day helps remind people to floss daily and brush their teeth at least twice every day.